Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's Time.



The chart above depicts the put/call ratio plotted against the S&P 500 index. I have highlighted by the red arrows the bearish spikes that have led recently to market rallies. Note that they are about 0.3 in length. This suggests a rally from current levels is highly probable.

Given the above and my IT upwards oriented bias I will go long today after a probable initial sell off of 10-15 points. My favorite level to go long is 1060 on the ES but I will adjust depending on where the market opens. I expect a move up above 1100, more precisely to 1128 on the cash index.

Why 1128 as target? Well, for now I will just say this:

click to enlarge


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice call. it didn't sell-off though.

JJ

tellzhang said...

Nice call! How is put/call ratio things work? High wining percentage?

Adrn said...

Indeed JJ. This market keeps running away from me :)

Adrn said...

tellzhang,

The put/call is very reliable in my experience but a lot of flexibility is needed in intrepreting it.

It is more about the way it moves in relation to the market than the levels it reaches.

tellzhang said...

many thanks! I guess there is NO sure indicator out there...

tellzhang said...

by the way, where you get chart of p/C ratio?

By the way, you have nice blog! Will visit again! good work!

Adrn said...

thanks

i got the data from the CBOE site. It is free. I used MS Excel to manipulate it.

link for data: http://www.cboe.com/data/putcallratio.aspx

you can also see the chart of the put/call ratio for free at:

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$CPC&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&id=p56330184321

tellzhang said...

thanks again!

Will visit your blog daily!

tellzhang said...

one stupid question: Why you use $CPC chart, but not $CPCE,or $CPCI?
Sorry for the dumb question...

Adrn said...

it's not a dumb question. i found out that $cpc works better. maybe because traders use both index and equity options to manage their exposure to the market