Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Boat Is Full of Skeptics. Will It Sink?

I previously said I would watch markets closely after the Fed announcement to determine the validity of my bear market assumption. Here are my two findings until now:

- Skepticism regarding the economy and especially the QE is very high. I have not seen any opinion out there that this move would help the economy, which is very surprising after a sustained rally.. From a contrarian point of view this is just fuel for the continuation of the upmove.

- The markets are not showing weakness. Europe is trading higher on record volumes, led by banks, the dollar is lower, oil is rallying and the ES broke 1200.

I will not draw any conclusions yet from these observations but implications are evident.

Market strength makes me reconsider my expectation of a sharp correction that would end by Friday. I think there are still stubborn bears that are stuck short. As soon as they bail out, which will probably happen today, the market can start a correction. I expect the put/call ratio to indicate this fact by a spike to about 0.8:

This would correspond to a top associated with the employment report tomorrow, an usual occurrence.

The correction will provide another round of information. Lack of weakness would lead me to believe the bear is dead.

No comments: